The Club was originally founded in the Adswood district of Stockport in 1913 by a group who delighted in the name ‘The Niblicks’. Their aim was not to form a Golf Club, but merely a society, that would allow a group of friends to play golf on designated fields. It quickly became apparent, however, that the Niblicks had indeed become a proper club.
The Club continued happily until 1966, when planning proposals for a new road threatened it’s future existence and in 1969 the shareholders agreed to sell the land and purchase Worth Hall Farm in Poynton. This enabled the construction of a new 18 hole course.
The last competition at Garners Lane, Adswood was played on 29th September 1973 and the members moved to Worth Hall in the first week of October that year. Since those early days playing membership has trebled and in the intervening years the Club has invested significant sums in developments and improvements – the most significant of which was major expenditure in 2004-05. This provided proper facilities for the greenkeeping staff and their valuable equipment and a new professionals shop with ‘state of the art’ assessment and teaching aids.
The Club has long valued its reputation as a friendly and unstuffy place in which to enjoy golf – on and off the course.
It’s members, officers and staff are determined to maintain this philosophy as well as make Davenport Golf Club first choice for those wishing to play a great course and enjoy excellent food and hospitality in comfortable surroundings.